Thursday 12 April 2012

Pole Files Interview 22: Amy Lewis Pole Dancer

So its been a little while since my last interview. I have been a bit slack with easter break.
Our 22nd Interview is with Amy Lewis from New Zealand, another beautiful pole dancer. I have loved doing this interview with Amy as she has such unique interests outside of pole dancing. 

Here is Amy story.............

Quick Bio.

Hi, my name is Amy Lewis.  I started pole dancing from scratch nearly five years ago with no dance or fitness background.  In fact, before I took up pole I hated all forms of exercise!  I found pole really hard to start with, but after coming to class twice I was determined to get better, and started coming twice a week.  After three months I was coming three times a week, and about another 5 months after that I began teaching beginners.  I've been teaching pole for around four years, and even met my soon-to-be husband when he came in to take pole lessons with me. :)  Together, we opened Polaris Pole Dance in Wellington nearly two years ago.  I have performed in a number of pole and burlesque shows held here in Wellington, and competed in the first Miss Pole Dance New Zealand competition.  I was also lucky enough to be chosen as a Wild Card to go through to the final of the New Zealand Amateur Pole Performer competition last year.  Somehow I managed to fit all that in while studying, earning a PhD in Biomedical Science.




How long have you been doing pole dancing?

Nearly five years

The moment you realised you love pole dancing?

I'm not sure... I became determined to learn pole dance during my second lesson, so I started watching pole videos on Youtube.  The first time I realised how beautiful and amazing pole dance could look was when I watched Felix Cane's 2006 Miss Pole Dance Australia routine on Youtube, and then later when I saw Amy Richardson perform an amazing aerial pole routine while blindfolded. :)

Describe your style.


I haven't done any type of dance except for pole, so I'm very much influenced by the polers I've seen on youtube.  I guess I would describe my style as sexy and confident.  When I'm performing and free styling my main consideration is connecting to the music, so I place a lot of emphasis on musicality.  I want to let my audience experience music the way I do by expressing how I connect to it, and not just doing a series of pole tricks.

Favourite move?

Oooh, It's close!  My favourite would have to be the Gemini, because it's such a beautiful pose, but it's very closely followed by the Ayesha because I feel amazing doing it.  I love both because they're both so versatile.

Tools of the trade, what can’t you live without when pole dancing?

Mighty Grip, my Bad Kitty crop top and shorts, and great music.

Any hobbies or passions outside of pole dancing?

Science, and my fiance Peter. :)  I don't have much time for anything else... I work full time at my day job, and run a pole dance studio in the evenings :)


Can't live without?

Pole, and cheese.  I like cheese.

Growing up I wanted to be a.....

Dinosaur (when I was 4); Paleontologist (when I was 6); Veterinarian (when I was 10); and a Geneticist (when I was 12).



Favourite things of all time:

Movie: Too many to list!  A random selection: The Shawshank Redemption; 10 Things I Hate About You; Love Actually; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.


TV Show: Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  It helped me through some tough times growing up. :)


Musician:  Pearl Jam and Green Day


Album: Dookie, by Green Day


Song: I don't really have any favourites, but I'm really enjoying Sail by AWOLnation at the moment.



Book: Embarrassingly I read the Twilight series all the way through four times, but definitely not a favourite!


Magazine:  I don't read magazines.  I really want to get Vertical Art and Fitness but they don't sell it in New Zealand. :(


Food: Cheese, and Chocolate (but not together) 


Designer:  I quite like Mika Pole Wear at the moment


Thank you Amy for the interview, I have loved hearing your story and more about what inspires you.

No comments:

Post a Comment