Saturday 10 December 2011

Pole File Interview: Crystal Gibson Pole Dancer







1st interview is with Crystal Gibson, she is Based in Los angeles. She does some amazing pole work all round the world, in some of the most craziest places!!!








It is with great pleasure to feature Crystal's on my blog.


Quick Bio.


My name is Crystal Gibson and I love having fun. I am mommy and a girlfriend and we live in Los Angeles California a little more than half a year and spend the other part of the year in the Midlands, England (my boyfriend “John” is English). We have been going back and forth from the USA to the UK for almost 6 years! It defiantly adds contrast to my life. My daughter is almost two and her and I are best buddies, currently I am a staying at home with her in LA but working with a cool company in England called Area 51, which supplies all the crazy talent for parties, festivals, private events, like stilt walkers, aerial art, circus performers, fire dancers… you name it we do it. I am adding a pole division to the talent pool and I’m very excited about that! www.area51.co

My background is in marketing for album launches and movies but once I found pole that didn’t seem to matter, I would love to own my own fitness studio for women or be part of one. I have learned over the years that embracing femininity is an extremely important part of being a girl and when I'm doing this I am a much happier person for it (Thanks Sheila).
I love the pole world/community! Its not hard to always stay inspired by having such lovely ladies (&a few men) to look up to like: Jenyne Butterfly, Natasha Wang, Shimmy, Dirdy Birdie, Oona, Alethea Austin, Becca Butcher, Kelly Yvonne, Mina Mortezaie, Nadia Shaif & Sasja (the list can keep going!) watching these women perform keeps me inspired and gives me something to look forward to! 





How long have you been doing pole dancing?


This is a funny question because I started taking classes at a wonderful place called S Factor almost 2 years ago, right after my daughter was born (5 weeks after!) but S Factor doesn’t teach pole past the butterfly or right/left leg hooks and a few spins really. They do teach pole just not in a technical way. S Factor is wonderful for so many more reasons, some which I feel helped me thru being a new mom which can be a tricky phase of life. In my own words S Factor is a safe haven for women really, a place where girls can be girls while entering their journey to discovering who their erotic creature is in a fun in a safe environment. S factor teaches a lot on embracing femininity and empowering women of all shapes, sizes and walks of life. S Factor mainly focuses on moving meditation thru slow, curvaceous, erotic movement finished with a dance. My favorite thing S factor teaches how to stay connected to your erotic creature thru your breath, using little of your outside mind. When you can do this moving meditation your brain releases all these yummy vibes and gives you fuel to make it thru the week, I like to call it an emotional orgasm!
Back to the question, S Factor does teach pole but not on an advanced level. The pole is simply there during your dance and if you feel the need to swing around it you can, more like an accessory if you will.

But I always had a natural affinity to the pole and wanted to learn more so I taught myself a lot of tricks and spent hours and hours on youtube! In August of 2011 I started taking advanced pole classes at Evolve dance studio in Los Angeles under the skill of the very talented Mina Mortezaie, Mina is a great teacher because she understands the body, and with her gymnast and dance background she can quickly advance you based off you current level of strength. Mina is a gem and if you ever have the opportunity to train with her do so! I also have taken classes from some of LA Finest ladies, Sasj Lee, and Annemarie Davies and recently at the new studio The Choreography House under the mega sassy talent, Kelly Yvonne! Kelly also owns/operates Girl Next Door Show in LA, getting in this group is my 2012 goal! I really want to be part of this group! If you haven’t heard of Girl Next Door Show check it out 
Pole Idols - Part Deux girlnextdoorshow.com a pole dance soirĂ©e super sexy and fun! 


In total this February will be two years and Technical Pole 4 months.


The moment you realised you love pole dancing?


When every pole I passed I would think “I need to swing on that pole or can I shoulder mount that?” I also had a giggle in the back of a taxi leaving Greece last year, my boyfriend saw me gazing into empty buildings as we drove to the airport, he says to me “babe, are you thinking poles again?” I smiled and told him “Yes, but do you see the ceiling height?! ☺ I also new I loved pole because for the first time in my life I was doing something that I loved, that made me happy, which a lot of women forget to do when we are taking care of everyone else. 




Describe your style.


Ha, um… I like relaxed, sexy, trendy but faded look I guess, my favorite shop is “All Saints”. I love to wear short skirts or shorts but with trainers, you will hardly ever see me in heels! I like shirts that are fitted but I love a good baggy sweatshirt. Since I am from the Seattle area I think I have a lil bit of grunge left in me. 


Favourite move?


Mid Pole, Twisted Grip Lifting.









Tools of the trade, what can’t you live without when pole dancing?


X-Pole 45ML & Dry Hands


Any hobbies or passions outside of pole dancing?


I love house music, been listening for years!! My boyfriend is a wicked DJ ☺ ((He goes by Quivver or John Graham… He’s ace, have a little look https://www.facebook.com/QuivverMusic )) For the past 6 years I have been able to travel with him a bit and see the world which has been a blessing. 


Can't live without?


My daughter ☺ She is lovely, about to be two on December the 17th. Her name is Charlie and she is such a joy! I also can’t live w/o her daddy, them two got my heart. 
On a less soppy note, I can’t live without: Ranch Dressing, Flavoured Coffee/Coffee Creamer and Google.  


Growing up I wanted to be a.....


Never really knew this answer, it wasn’t until I found pole that I knew what I wanted to do with my life, which is fitness for women and yes there will be pole!


Favourite things of all time: 


Movie: The Wackness, The Notebook and This is England.
 
TV Show: Hands down Southpark!

Musician: Massive Attack, Kasabian, Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode, Fever Ray or anything that Karin has her hands in. Notorious B.I.G., The Big Pink, Ulrich Schnauss, Vangelis & Brian Eno

Album: Kasabian’s self-titled album Kasabian & Peal Jam, Ten. 

Song: at the moment… because I could never just answer this in one song! At the moment I really like a track by Tinie Tempha called Let Go. But If I had to play a jam that always makes me smile and move it would have to be Notorious B.I.G. Hypnotize 

Book: Chis Evans Bio both books! Memories of a Fruitcake and Its not what you think. 

Magazine: Elle and DJ Mag

Food: Tacos, Chips and Salsa and Pho

Designer: All Saints & Top Shop


Shout Out: 


Over the past few years I have the pleasure to watch a friend go from a great pole dancer to USA Pole Dance Champion and its been such a joy to watch her grow and influence other people's lives for the better, she is a gem and a great role model. I just want her to know that I’m very proud of her and thrilled she is representing us here in the USA. Natasha Wang, you’re ACE! http://natashawang.com/
And… Olivia & Suran, thanks for being such lovely friends, you two are the best! Tuesdays wouldn’t be as good as they are w/o you. Xx



I would like to Thank Crystal for her time and sharing her work with us!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment