Sunday 18 December 2011

Pole Files Interview 9: Michelle Shimmy Pole Dancer

The 9th interview is with Michelle Shimmy from Australia. I am so impressed by all of Michelle's great routines and videos on you tube, I love how she captures an audience so easy.



So here is more about Michelle Shimmy.


Quick bio.

I started taking classes and became more and more obsessed, until I decided with my sister to open our own studio, The Pole Dance Academy in Bondi, Sydney, Australia. I did a lot of gymnastics as a kid, and when I discovered pole I thought, this is like gymnastics for grown ups! I teach pole at my studio, and I compete and perform around Sydney and overseas as well, which is awesome - I love that I can travel and pole dance pretty much wherever I go. I also work part-time as a lawyer in a community legal centre, which keeps me pretty busy.


http://www.poledanceacademy.com.au/

How long have you been doing pole dancing?

5 years.

The moment you realised you love pole dancing?

 From my first class! 

Describe your style.

I suppose mainly my style is strong, slow and sexy. I like power moves - aerial phoenixes, dead lifts, iron x's etc. I love the feeling of strength that pole gives me, and I love being able to bust out moves that most guys can't even begin to do. 

In terms of dance style, I'm a bit of a pole traditionalist - I like my pole very sexy, and as much as I admire the beauty of contemporary dance, my personal preference when I perform is definitely sexy pole dancing (maybe that's because I can't do contemporary dance very well!). 

That said, I really admire the girls who can incorporate contemporary/lyrical styles into their routines, because I think it brings diversity to the sport and also (let's be honest) a bit more credibility! I usually wear stripper shoes to perform, but I like dancing barefoot because it allows you to incorporate more moves into your floorwork that would otherwise be quite unsafe in heels.





 

Favourite move?

I can't pick just one! At the moment, I'm really excited about being able to do a dead lift with a normal grip (i.e. not twisted grip), and also a scorpion handstand into a drop split. I'm also working on a forward spinning cupped grip lift into a static V, which I love because it looks so strong.

I'm a bit of a youtube and facebook fiend, and I always post new moves/combos/tricks that I come up with on facebook because I like to share what I'm working on. So if what I'm talking about makes no sense, have a look at my videos on facebook!


Tools of the trade, what can’t you live without when pole dancing?

Stripper heels, Mighty Grip wrist guards (I have a persistent wrist injury), and also - my awesome sister Maddie and the other Pole Dance Academy teachers, who make pole so much more fun for me!

Any hobbies or passions outside of pole dancing?

Ha ha not really... I love my dog and cat!

Can't live without?

My sister and my boyfriend, my dog and cat, and my pole! Not sure what order though...

Growing up I wanted to be a.....


Corporate lawyer, until I found out what it was really all about...


Favourite things of all time:

Movie: Labyrinth, Never-ending Story, the Dark Crystal

TV Show: Family Guy

Musician: Kurt Cobain/Jeff Buckley

Album: Nevermind by Nirvana

Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit

Book: Ada or Ardour by Vladimir Nabokov

Magazine: Not into magazines 

Food: anything vegetarian

Designer: Supre (only Aussies will get why that is funny!)

I would like to thank Michelle for taking the time to tell us her story. 

1 comment:

  1. i like youe post and thank's for your infromation ^___^

    ReplyDelete